Welcome to Penn Dutch Cow Care, a Lancaster County, Pennsylvania dairy practice owned and operated by Dr. Hubert J Karreman. This site contains information about Dr Karreman, his practice, research on Phyto-Mast botanical mastitis tubes and copies of newsletters, which he sends to his clients.
A hands-on barn and field guide designed for quick and easy use, presenting a thorough examination of animals in the barn and then listing symptoms with nearly
Dr. Hubert Karreman, a dairy veterinarian in Lancaster County, PA, who works with 60 organic dairy farms, has written a book called "Treating Dairy Cows Naturally: Thoughts and Strategies", now in its 2nd printing with new pictures, diagrams and an easier to read format.
In this groundbreaking work Dr. Karreman invites us to journey in to the world of dairy cows from a truly holistic perspective. With much thought and research, he builds a foundation from which to view dairy cows as animals that occupy a unique agro-ecological niche in our world. From within that niche, he describes how cows can be treated for a wide variety of problems with plant-derived and biological medicines. Drawing upon veterinary treatments from the days before synthetic pharmaceuticals, and tempering them with modern knowledge and clinical experience, Dr. Karreman bridges the world of natural treatments with life in the barn in a rational and easy to understand way. In describing treatments for common dairy cow diseases, he covers practical aspects of biologics, botanical medicines, homeopathic remedies, acupuncture and conventional medicine. By incorporating conservation principles, he also alerts us to the need of keeping our waterways clean - both for our health and the health of the cows. This book should serve as a useful reference for years to come. .
Table of Contents:
1. What Is a Dairy Farm?
2. Two Different Views of Cow Management
3. Grazing Basics
4. Organic Dairy Farming
5. Health Care Dilemmas in Organic Dairying
6. NOSB Approved Synthetic Materials for Certified Organic Farms
7. Real Life Situations, Natural Treatments, and Farmers
Part II - Strategies
8. Clinical Practice Data and DHIA Data
9. Bridging Quantifiable Botanical Medicine and Energetic Homeopathy
10. Comparative Materia Medica
11. Uses of Medicinal Plants in Veterinary Medicine
12. Homeopathic Remedy Guide for Dairy Barns
13. General Considerations for Treatments
14. Problems that Occur Anytime
15. Reproduction and Obstetrics
16. Problems During Lactation
Milk As Medicine
Appendices: Conversions, Recoommended Remedies, Resource Contacts, Glossary
For Bovinity Health, information on functional alternatives to antibiotics see:
© Copyright 2000 - 2013 Penn Dutch Cow Care